THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO FOOD, DRINK AND LIFESTYLE IN THE NORTH WEST AND NORTH WALES
Hot cross buns
4tsp dried yeast
55g caster sugar
250ml warm milk
600g plain flour
1tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
125ml warm water
40g mixed peel
1tbsp apricot jam, warmed & sieved
For the flour paste
75g plain flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1. Combine the yeast, sugar and milk in a bowl and whisk until yeast is dissolved. Cover the bowl and stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until the mixture is frothy.
2. Sift the flour and cinnamon into a large bowl and rub in the butter. Stir in the yeast mixture, egg, water and fruit until well combined. Cover and stand the bowl in a warm place for 1 hour or until the mixture has doubled in size.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide into 16 equal pieces and knead into balls.
4. Place the dough balls on 2 greased oven trays. Stand in a warm place for about 20 minutes until the dough has risen.
5. Preheat the oven to 190°C/R5. To make the paste, combine the flour and sugar in a bowl, blend in the water and stir until smooth. Pipe crosses onto the buns using a piping bag with a small plain nozzle.
6. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 180°C/R4 and bake for a further 15 minutes. Turn the buns onto a wire rack and, while still warm, brush with the jam.